The Plzen factory was founded in 1859 by Count Waldstein. Emil Škoda acquired Waldstein´s factory in 1869.
The first turbogenerator was manufactured in 1924 and first hydrogenerator a year later. As part of the large Škoda group, it supplied many of the generators and associated equipment required in the Eastern European markets. The factory underwent a major upgrade of facilities in 1950 with the construction of the "Gigant" workshop and construction of a heavy workshop "New Hall" in 1987.
FKI Energy Technology group acquired the former Škoda Elektrické stroje from the Škoda group in March 2001. To date more than 1300 turbogenerators and 245 hydrogenerators have been manufactured for customers in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa and Australia.
On 1 July 2008 Melrose completed the acquisition of FKI plc for a total consideration, including debt, of just under £1 billion. The three companies, BRUSH Electrical Machines Ltd, BRUSH HMA and BRUSH SEM now form BRUSH Turbogenerators.
The company has achieved the following milestones in production of generators:
BRUSH SEM also produces excitation systems for generators. The main milestones of excitation system production are as follows:
The company´s activities in the future will include development, design, production, servicing and repairs of generators, excitation systems and their auxiliaries, servicing and repairs of AC and DC rotating machines.