The BRUSH Group has a long and rich history serving power generation customers as an OEM of generation, control, and distribution products. While primarily known for supplying industry leading turbogenerators and power management systems, Brush also designs and manufactures transformers and switch gear of equally high quality.
The roots of the Brush Group date back to 1876 when Charles Francis Brush invented his first “electric dynamo” and shortly thereafter established the first company of his namesake the “Anglo-American Brush Electric Light Corporation,” in London, UK. In the U.S. a second company “Brush Electric Company” was established in 1880, which in 1891 became part of General Electric.
Brush in the UK experienced a series of integrations dating back to 1957 when the Brush companies were incorporated into the Hawker Siddeley Group under the new name of the Brush Electrical Engineering Company Limited. Ultimately Hawker Siddelely and by proxy BRUSH, became part of FKI in 1996.
In 2000 the Dutch company Holec Machines and Apparaten was acquired to enhance Brush’s 4 pole turbo-generator product ranges, and in 2001 Škoda Elekricke Stroje was acquired from the main Škoda group to expand Brush’s 2-Pole capabilities. In 2008 Melrose plc, acquired FKI, which included the Brush product lines, and companies. In 2010 “Generator and Motors Services" located in Pittsburgh, PA, U.S. was acquired to extend OEM level service to the Brush installed base in the Americas region.
In April 2019 Hawker Siddeley Switchgear re-branded to be BRUSH Switchgear.
Today, the integrated companies operate as "One Brush" with competency centers for 2-Pole & 4-Pole generators, power management and control systems, transformers, switch gear, and OEM services. Brush's serves the global power generation and distribution markets with a strong foundation of technical knowledge to support grassroots projects, capacity expansions, and drop-in-replacements. Please contact us today to discuss your electrical power needs.
The Plzen factory was founded in 1859 by Count Waldstein. Emil Škoda acquired Waldstein´s factory in 1869.
The first turbogenerator was manufactured in 1924 and first hydrogenerator a year later. As part of the large Škoda group, it supplied many of the generators and associated equipment required in the Eastern European markets. The factory underwent a major upgrade of facilities in 1950 with the construction of the "Gigant" workshop and construction of a heavy workshop "New Hall" in 1987.
FKI Energy Technology group acquired the former Škoda Elektrické stroje from the Škoda group in March 2001. To date more than 1,300 turbogenerators and 245 hydrogenerators have been manufactured for customers in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa and Australia.
On 1 July 2008 Melrose completed the acquisition of FKI plc for a total consideration, including debt, of just under £1 billion. The three companies, BRUSH Electrical Machines Ltd, BRUSH HMA and BRUSH SEM now form BRUSH Turbogenerators.
The company has achieved the following milestones in production of generators:
- 1924 first turbogenerator with output 14 MW (or 17.5MVA)
- 1959 first hydrogen cooled turbogenerator with output 100 MW (125 MVA)
- 1966 first combined hydrogen and water cooled turbogenerator with output 200 MW (235 MVA)
- 1977 combined cooled hydrogen and water cooled turbogenerator with output 500 MW (588 MVA)
- 1994 combined cooled hydrogen and water cooled turbogenerator with output 1000 MW (1111 MVA)
- 2013 air cooled turbogenerator with output 196 MW (231 MVA)
- 1925 first hydrogenerator with output 230 kVA at 500 rpm
- 1953 hydrogenerator with output 30 MVA at 125 rpm
- 1958 hydrogenerator with output 100 MVA at 188 rpm
- 1976 hydrogenerator for pumped-storage plant with output 220 MVA at 375 rpm
- 1996 the biggest hydrogenerator for pumped-storage plant with output 355.5 MVA at 429 rpm
The main milestones of excitation system production are as follows:
- 1977 first analog excitation system of RBA type
- 1993 first digital excitation system of DCP type
- 1999 first digital excitation system of MBS type
- 2004 first digital excitation system of A50 type
- 2017 upgraded digital excitation system of A50N type
For more than 130 years BRUSH has been a trusted partner for advice, engines, maintenance, repair and overhaul of generators and installations.
Smit Slikkerveer, 1882-1962
In 1882 Willem Smit and Adriaan Pot started a business with the name Elektrisch-Licht Machinen Fabriek Willem Smit & Co. They produced a wide range of items like dynamos, elektrical bulbs and ornaments. At the end of the 19th century the range of products was extended with AC en DC machines and also with transformers.
Holec Machines & Apparaten, 1962-1998
Holec started in 1962 from a cooperation between Heemaf from Hengelo and Smit Slikkeveer.
After a year a holding company was formed with the companies Smit, Heemaf and Hazemeyer. This company was named Samenwerkende Elektrotechnische Fabriken Holec NV. In 1969 Smit Nijmegen was added to this cooperation.
HMA Power Systems, 1998-2001
In 1989 Holec, including Holec Machines & Apparaten, was taken over by the Begemann Group. This offered the opportunity for further investments in production facilities specifically for transport motor equipment. In 1998 Holec Machines & Apparaten was split up in two separate companies: HMA Power Systems BV en Traxis BV. HMA Power Systems particularly served markets for large generators, industrial drives, traction motors and associated maintenance services.
Brush HMA, since 2001
In the year 2000 HMA Power Systems was taken over by the Brush Group and operates since then under the name Brush HMA. The main operational activities are:
- Design and production of turbo generators
- Maintenance and repair of rotating electrical machines and devices regardless of brand or type
- Design and production of custom machines, DC contactors, control and security systems
Generator and Motor Services of Pennsylvania (GMS), a generator service company, was formed in the late 1980s after Westinghouse Electric Corporation moved its generator manufacturing facilities from Turtle Creek, PA to North Carolina. The company was organized by a handful of experience former Westinghouse technicians, who set up generator repair operations in the vacated Westinghouse Turtle Creek facilities.
The company continued to grow under private ownership until 2010, becoming a major non-OEM service provider to the US utility industry. Field Service and shop testing and repair work was performed on-large generation equipment produced by all major manufacturers.
In 2010 Brush Corporation purchased the company as a wholly owned subsidiary, to augment its growing international aftermarket business. Under its new name, Brush Aftermarket became the company’s headquarters for all service work in the Americas. The Turtle Creek Shop facilities have continuously expanded under Brush ownership with capital improvements, and in 2017 a new high-speed rotor balancing pit was commissioned.